Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Codin' Away

Hey!



So a lot has been going on, and I've been a little too busy to make blog posts in the last couple of weeks.
Another reason for that is related to learning programming--you might be able to guess what I'm getting at, but nevertheless I will explain that below. I still have every intention to continue my blog though, and I have many things I wish to post about (including many unfinished draft posts! ><) First of all, I'll mention some things besides coding. But first, let's talk about coding:

Coding, yay!

Okay.

So July is one of those months for me that are jam-packed with important birthdays; My brother's is July 19th, My girlfriend's and her twin sister's is July 20, and my friend Johnny's is on the 24th. Not to mention, another friend's was on the 25th (but he was off being awesome; he was off in Japan, and then to a few other places, and then to work in like...Silicon Valley!?). To make it even more insane, my close friends and I had another close friend for a while (long story, but we don't really talk to him much or anything now and he's not even in the city anyway), whom we chilled with a great deal when I was in first year--and his birthday was on July 26th!

Two awesome parties took place quite recently. My girlfriend and her sister had another one of their gaming feast-parties--and oh man, the fooooooood. My friend Johnny (of WakeGaNai) and his girlfriend celebrated his birthday with a party of their own, and the case with that was pretty similar. Both parties were an awesome way to get together for some fun and reward ourselves for hard work. In my case, I'm starting to actually feel like I deserve such things. That is,  頑張っています~~(GANBATTEIMASU~~)

SO!

So I've been doing a lot of programming lately, though I'm still just learning the basics. I took a Python-focused course in school before (though back then I couldn't really focus on it, nor did I even intend to become a programmer--unlike now!), and later when I came back to programming and, in a fortunate turn of events, stopped everything I was doing and turned it into my absolute career path, I started learning Python using Codecademy (awesome site!).

I went on to learn more at Codecademy, and I intend to keep on using it. The first course I fully completed was on HTML and CSS (that's right! I can build some basic websites!! I need to practice though). Now, by this time, and fortunately for me (because learning alongside others is great), Johnny had also taken up programming. In particular, he loves to spruce up his blog and learn how to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible whilst implementing as many other optimizing elements as possible. That's a major thing that I like to do as well, and I'll be doing a lot of that too, pretty soon.

The reason I'm less motivated to make a lot of posts here is because I'm going to keep learning, keep practicing, and pretty soon just code my own blog. I might do this through Ghost or something, but it will still be fully customized by me and I won't have to deal with anything dumb that comes with blogging as a non-code monkey.

Right now I'm working through the Javascript course. One of my main focuses is learning languages, some versatile and some more focused, expand my potential web design/development capabilities. I'm pretty much running down a list I've jotted down from personal research and fused together with a list given to me by a knowledgeable friend. After finishing the Javascript course, I will work through several fun little web-related tutorials on Codecademy while I supplement that with working my own real website project (which I will discuss in another post sometime). This will allow to to refresh and enhance my skills with HTML and CSS while also looking for ways to implement Javascript, stuff from Bootstrap, and eventually JQuery once I learn about that too. And of course, I will go back to my unfinished Python course and finish 'er up.

I actually have various person project ideas, but I'll get into that another time. Another language I'll be learning too is C. Yup! So I'll learn and practice Python some more before I get into that. Python knowledge has been helping me to easily understand Javascript, and I think that once I'm through with learning about the basics of Javascript, I'll be even better at mastering the rest of Codecademy's Python course. In fact, although for some reason I thought that Javascript was going to be a little easier than Javascript, I'm no longer feeling so sure; The loops and lists and double-nested loops (for-if-for) I've been learning already at the 1/3 mark in the Javascript course is what I remember learning a fair bit later in the Python course, not to forget nested lists and dictionaries.

For some reason, the passing of time and/or the learning of Javscript (albeit only for a few days so far) in addition to the study and practice of pseudo-languages like HTML and CSS, has really sunk in, leaving me with a clearer and more confident mind about programming.

I am ready to take it all on!




~Yukigami

1 comment:

Please comment!