Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ren'py: Visual Novel Resources?

Hello~
ヤッハロー~
雪神だ。



























Today I want to talk about Visual Novels (and Dating Sims, sure, same $hy7)

I am currently learning the Python VN-engine called Ren'py.
I've gone through the tutorials and stuff, and today I spent a little time downloading sounds.

Do you guys know where I can find some really good pictures for this kind of game? I have some, but some of the sites I've been referred to and/or bookmarked contain only extremely amateurish art or art for platformers--anyway, stuff like that!

I need some character pictures (background-less characters) for a school anime kind of story (in other words, obviously the pictures need to look like anime, since this is a Japanese-style VN we're talking about).

I'm taking my still-unfinished Love Lilycove side story, and for a change of pace/to practice making a game (still not sure if this will end up counting as "practicing Python", but making a game would be really really awesome! So far, it looks easy!) I'm turning that side story into a VN game.

Now, first off I'm planning to make a "kinetic novel"--that is, there will be no choice making or stats, just a story with sounds, music, full body character images with emotional ranges and poses, background art, special effects, and what have you. I may be able to manage short voice clips (basically just voice-sounds), but obviously I can't get any voice acting for my game. But that's fine! I've played various VN that didn't even have voices.

This "kinetic" version is just for practice, I will make choice-based games and/or games with personal stats (like a typical, if not retro archetype of Dating Sim many of us may remember?) as soon as I've got the more basic things down!

I'm not just telling Orlando's back-story though this VN, I'm just starting there. Once I'm done, I'll show it to my friends and stuff and show it here somehow, but I'll then return to finishing chapter one of the main Love Lilycove story, and just have it come long before the side story. I'm planning to have "side stories" occur throughout the regular story as a tangential but non-separate part of the story.

So, do you have some good art resources I could use? Any *great* links?
Thanks a lot~ Bye now!



~Yukigami

P.S. Another little update about the Hoenn Elite Four in my Love Lilycove story is, well to keep it vague for you and not reveal too much yet, basically the Elite Four changes up at some point due to certain events, and two new Elite Four members join the fray. Eli Stormwil is a boxer-cum-rocker and uses electric and fighting types. Shun Tsuchimura is a brainy user of ground and poison types, like a Giovanni team, but stronger and with a much more strategic and synergistic style!

4 comments:

Please comment!